Why is SEO important for my website ?
As per wikipedia :
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine‘s “natural” or un-paid (“organic“) search results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine’s users. SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search, news search and industry-specific vertical search engines.
As an Internet marketing strategy, SEO considers how search engines work, what people search for, the actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines and which search engines are preferred by their targeted audience. Optimizing a website may involve editing its content, HTML and associated coding to both increase its relevance to specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities of search engines. Promoting a site to increase the number of backlinks, or inbound links, is another SEO tactic.
Google trends shows the value over time that SEO has aquired in terms of being the most sought after services from web professionals.
A guide to some basic SEO
- Make sure your title tags , header tags , meta desciptions , urls and alt tags all contain sufficient keywords
- Create Google Analytic Account and Webmaster Tools.
- Use a base checkist to make sure your site conforms to basic SEO.
- Use a tool like Screaming Frog SEO Spider (download it here)
- Content is KING !!!!! Make sure you do not duplicate your content or just copy and paste from other websites.
- Assess existing and potential keyword targets.
- Continually optimize your pages.
- Use a tool like Website Speed Test from Pingdom Tools for a full report on your page load as well as a waterfall of the various elements loaded.
- Create a 404 page that is part of your main website.
- Use a free tool to monitor your inbound links.
- Create social media sharing links.
- Make sure your site is easy to navigate and well structured.
- Use breadcrumbs to add to your internal navigation.
- Create an sitemap page as well as a sitemap (xml) and submit this to Google Webmaster Tools. (Create your own here)